Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apple Crisp

Apple crisp is one of those comfort foods of fall for me. I've been making this since I was in undergrad 30 plus years ago. There were apple trees on the campus that were left to fend for themselves and I would raid when I could. I also would go to Green Mountain Orchards in Putney, Vt. In addition to apple crisp I would make applesauce, baked apples filled with nuts and dried fruit (sometimes with granola), and apple pies. Can't tell I lived in New England, can you? (*Smile*)

My family always likes an extra bit of crumbly crust on the apple crisp, so this one may have a bit more than you and you family looks for. It's still good, awh heck, with apple crisp it's all good! Enjoy the recipe and fiddle as you like.

Apple Crisp

5 or 6 medium to large apples (mix up varieties) sliced thinly
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. flour

Topping:
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 stick butter, melted

Heat over to 350 degrees.
Toss the apples, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp flour. Place in 8X8 or 9X9 in sq. pan.

In a medium sized bowl mix the dry ingredients for the topping. Add the butter, mix until small balls of moist crumbs are formed (all the dry ingredients are incorporated). Place the topping over the apple mix.

Place in 350 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes until the apples are soft and the topping is toasty brown and crisp.

To guild this somewhat rustic lily, serve a la mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment